Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Blessing of Supporters

Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill.

Philippians 1:15

It hurts to think of so dear a saint as Paul enduring opposition to the point of reporting, “At my first defense [the first trial in Rome] no one stood with me, but all forsook me” (2 Tim 4:16). When Paul wrote to the Philippians, he was so bereft of friends that he said of Timothy, “I have no one like–minded” (Phil 2:20).

But Paul also wrote that some were preaching Christ “from goodwill” according to today’s verse, which denotes satisfaction and contentedness. Paul’s supporters were content with what God was doing in their own lives and in Paul’s life. They were sympathetic toward him and grateful for his ministry.

There are also people like that today—what a blessing, encouragement, and source of joy they are! I thank God for filling my life with people like that.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 369). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home