Saturday, September 17, 2005

Tarnishing The Image

Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:44-45

When I was a little boy, a friend and I once got into trouble when we were caught stealing some things from a store. The police took us to the city jail. At the time, my father was out playing golf with some deacons from our church. He was notified about what had happened and came to the jail thinking a mistake had been made. Then he had to explain to the deacons what his son was doing in jail.

When I got home, my mother was crying because she thought I would never do such a thing. Someone told me, “Johnny MacArthur, have you forgotten who your father is?” I never forgot that statement. I owed something to my father. He had given me my very life, and I was happy to be his son. I’m also glad to be my heavenly Father’s son, so it’s only right that I manifest something of His character.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 282). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.

Lessons Learned: It is a commandment that you are to honor your father and mother. Your earthly father provides your material needs. He clothes you and feeds you and loves you. But more importantly he disciplines and teaches you in love. Your earthly father is an imperfect, sinful man, but yet he does all these good things for you. Then how much more should you honor your heavenly Father? "How much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" (Mat 7:11). As sons and daughters of God, let us honor Him by first loving Him, but by then also loving all of your neighbors. Not just your family and friends, but your enemies; those who hate you, persecute you, and curse you as well. "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (Mat 7:12).

Applications: Honor and love your Father in heaven. Practice that love by submitting to His will and obeying His command. Honor and love Him by loving your neighbors. That means everyone around you, not just the ones you like. Also, do not be passive in your love, ' love those who love you' and 'don't do to others what you don't want done to you', but be active in your love. Take the initiative and serve others. Show them the kind of active mercy and grace that God shows us every day. "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven" (Mat 5:16).

Prayer Subjects: Pray that I would take the initiative in doing good to others. Pray that I would demonstrate active goodness and mercy, the kind of love God shows to us every day. Pray that I would seek out good and merciful actions I can take today.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home