Sunday, September 11, 2005

Is Evil Ever Good?

You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good.

Genesis 50:20

As difficult as it is to accept or many times even recognize, God sometimes allows evil things to work for the good of believers. Many of the things you do or that happen to you are either evil or, at best, worthless. Yet the Lord in His infinite wisdom and power can and does turn the worst of such things to your ultimate good.

The famous account of Daniel in the lions’ den is a great illustration of how evil can be turned into good. When Daniel did not substitute worship of King Darius for worship of the true God, the king ordered him thrown into the pit of lions. When the lions would not harm him, Daniel declared to Darius, “‘O king, live forever! My God sent His angel and shut the lions’ mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you’” (Dan 6:21-22). Daniel was such a testimony to the king of how God could use evil for good that he happily released Daniel and gave praise to the Lord.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 276). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.

Lessons Learned: We must understand that God is omniscient and we are not. God is Holy and we are not. What we think of as good and evil are limited compared to the infinite, eternal viewpoint of God. His ways are higher than our ways (Isa 55:9). We cannot stand in judgement of His motives. We simply must have faith that ultimately, anything that we perceive as evil is being used by God to work for our good. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28).

Applications: We must trust in the Lord in all things. In every circumstance, whether we see it as positive or negative, it is part of God's sovereign will. We may not see it at the time, but in the end, if God allows it, then it is good. We should follow Paul's example and learn to be content in every situation, knowing that Christ empowers us to persevere through anything. "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Phil 4:11-13).

Prayer Subjects: Pray for contentment in whatever circumstance I am in. Pray for the peace of God to guard my heart and mind (Phil 4:7), so that I would continue to present a positive testimony to the power of God in my life to those around me. Pray that I would not question God's plans or motives, but that I would simply trust Him and obey Him in love.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home