Sunday, January 30, 2005

An Obligation to God

I am debtor both to the Greeks and to the barbarians; both to the wise and to the unwise.

Romans 1:14

A young man once asked me what motivates me to study week after week. I told him that sometimes, the Scripture passages are so exhilarating that I can’t wait to get to Sunday to preach. But then there are other times when I battle against priorities that crowd out my study time, and my ministry doesn’t seem that exciting then. I really have to fight my way through those times because I know I have a debt to God.

What if I see a house on fire, and the family inside is unaware of their dire situation? I cannot stand on the curb and wonder if they’re worth saving. Because they are in need and I have the information that can save them, I have an obligation to them.

If you are involved in Christian service only when you feel like doing it, you haven’t learned the kind of service Paul described in today’s verse. When facing a tough period in ministering to people, sometimes all you can rely on is your obligation to God.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 41). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home