Thursday, January 19, 2006

Mouth Confession; Heart Belief

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Rom 10:9)

There must be confession with the mouth. Have I made it? Have I openly avowed my faith in Jesus as the Saviour whom God has raised from the dead, and have I done it in God's way? Let me honestly answer this question.

There must also be belief with the heart. Do I sincerely believe in the risen Lord Jesus? Do I trust in Him as my sole hope of salvation? Is this trust from my heart? Let me answer as before God.

If I can truly claim that I have both confessed Christ and believed in him, then I am saved. The text does not say it may be so, but it is plain as a pikestaff, and clear as the sun in the Heavens: "Thou shalt be saved." As a believer and a confessor, I may lay my hand on this promise, and plead it before the Lord God at this moment, and throughout life, and in the hour of death, and at the day of judgment.

I must be saved from the guilt of sin, the power of sin, the punishment of sin, and ultimately from the very being of sin. God hath said it -- "Thou shalt be saved." I believe it. I shall be saved: I am saved. Glory be to God for ever and ever!

Faith's Checkbook by C.H. Spurgeon

Lessons Learned: Confessing with your mouth that "Jesus is Lord" is the volitional act which confirms your faith in Christ as both Lord and Saviour. It is the outward manifestation of your heart-felt belief in the power of God for salvation. We must acknowledge that Christ is God and that He was raised from the dead. If you believe that in your heart, you can trust in your salvation.

Applications: Do not doubt in the power of confession. Every time you sin, confess before God and sincerely repent in your heart. We must strive to grow spiritually and progress in sanctification because we are still called on to "Be holy, because [He] is holy" (1 Pet 1:16). However, you can never hope to "make-up" for all the sins you have committed in your life. Fortunately, as long as you have true faith, your sins have already been forgiven. "Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God" (1 Pet 3:18).
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home