Sunday, July 31, 2005

Reprogrammed for Righteousness

Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.

Psalm 119:11

A man once said to me, “I’ve come to Christ, but I still have so much garbage in my mind. How do I clean it out?” I answered him, “You’ve been programmed by the world for a long time, so your mind is full of filth. Therefore, it has to be reprogrammed—completely cleansed.”

The only way to reprogram your mind with God’s righteousness is to read, study, and meditate on the Word of God. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord” (Col 3:16).

If you’re a Christian, and you submit to the Holy Spirit as you study Scripture, you will have a reprogrammed mind that focuses on God’s righteousness and helps you live accordingly (Rom 12:1-2; Phil 4:8).

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 232). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.

Lessons Learned: The only way to get sin out of your heart is to replace it with God's word. Scripture has Christ's righteousness and Christ's power behind it and is sufficient to guide us in right living. We must not just empty our hearts and minds of sin, but we must fill the void back up with the truth of God.

Applications: Concentrate on "putting off" the sin in your heart, and work on "putting on" scripture to be conformed to Christ's image (Eph 4:22-24). Work on memorizing scripture and knowing how to apply it to the various situations which arise in your life, so that you will be able to respond biblically to any temptation.

Prayer Subjects: Pray for God's help in temptation. Pray for the Holy Spirit's help in memorizing scripture and for God's word to rule my life and guide my thoughts and my actions.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home