Monday, May 09, 2005

Not What I Should Be

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected.

Philippians 3:12

We are not yet what we should be, what we can be, or what we will be when we see the Lord. Our spiritual race begins with a sense of dissatisfaction. Paul started his race with the awareness that he had not arrived.

I can echo Paul’s testimony. After many years of walking with the Lord and being involved in ministry, I am acutely aware that I am not what I ought to be. Like every other believer, I am still in the process of growth. People who become content with where they are spiritually have reached a dangerous point. They are probably insensitive to sin and will tend to defend themselves when they should admit their weakness and seek help.

Spiritual growth begins like any race—the runner knows the distance he has to run and puts forth maximum effort right to the finish line. Paul’s goal was to become perfect, but knowing he hadn’t reached it yet didn’t deter him. And neither should it deter you.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 146). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.
Listen to this entry Listen to this entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home